A Personal Loan is short to medium-term unsecured loan that does not require any collateral or protection for disbursement. They are usually paid out in a few hours to a few days with little to no paperwork at all. The versatile end-use of a personal loan is a key feature. This unsecured loan can also be used to meet a range of needs, ranging from emergency care expenses to expected expenses such as home improvement, weddings, etc.
PERSONAL LOAN ELIGIBILITY FACTORS
Personal loans, as the name implies, are given to people and not to corporations. Some banks and NBFCs (Non-Banking Financial Companies) provide personal loans to workers and self-employed individuals/professionals. The eligibility requirements for a personal loan differ slightly depending on the form of the borrower. Following are some of the main factors for the eligibility of personal loans that need to be kept in mind*:
|Age||21 – 60 years||21 – 68 years|
|Minimum Income||Rs. 15,000 per month||Rs. 5 lakh per year (gross)|
|Employment stability||Total-experience– Minimum 2 years
Experience in the current organization- Minimum 1 year
|Minimum 2 years in the current business|
*The above-mentioned conditions for the eligibility of personal loans are general in nature and the actual eligibility factors can vary from one lender to another.
HOW DO PERSONAL LOANS WORK?
Personal loans are unsecured loans with adjustable end-use and usually have a period of 12 months to 60 months. If a shorter duration is selected, the individual EMI numbers are higher, while the longer duration results in lower individual EMIs. The main features of a personal loan are as follows:
- No Collateral/Security Required: You do not need to have any collateral for a personal loan, such as a house or car. The loan is accepted only on the basis of your creditworthiness, which depends on your credit score, wages, history of repayment, the credibility of the employer, etc.
- Flexible End Use: unlike a car loan or a home loan, personal loans can be used for various purposes, such as medical emergency costs, travel, house repair, debt reduction, etc.
- Flexible Tenure: Personal Loans come with inflexible terms, usually from 12 months to 60 months.
- Minimal Documentation: You can apply for a personal loan online or even offline with minimal documentation. The primary documents that lenders typically require the borrower to provide include proof of identity, proof of address, and proof of income.
- Quick Disbursal: Personal disbursement of the loan can take place within a time as short as a few hours, once the application has been accepted. Turnaround times can also be as low as a few minutes if you can make use of a pre-approved loan deal.
- Flexible Loan Amount: The qualifying amount of the personal loan is dependent on the history of the individual’s repayment, monthly income, age, occupation, the reputation of the employer, and other such factors. Lenders offer personal loans of as low as Rs. 10,000 to as much as Rs. 40 lakh.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR PERSONAL LOANS
Most banks and NBFCs have similar guidelines for the documentation needed for personal loans. A general list of such documents has been given below*:
- Identity Proof: PAN Card/ Voter’s ID/ Aadhaar Card/ Passport/ Driving License
- Address Proof: Bank Account Statement/ Aadhaar Card/ Lease/ Property purchase Agreement/ Utility Bill (not more than 3 months old)/ Passport/ Driving License
- Income Proof:
- For Salaried Individuals: Salary Slip/ Bank Account Statement/ Form 16
- For Self Employed: Previous Year ITR/ P&L Statement and Balance Sheet/ Bank Account Statement
- Business Proof: Certificate of Practice/ Partnership Deed/ GST Registration and Filing Documents/ MOA & AOA/ Shop Act License.
*The actual list of documents needed can vary from lender to lender.