The average life outlook in India has grown to over 65 years. But there is no change in the retirement of people as it is continuously constant throughout the years. Therefore, as one grows older, there is less money available to face their daily expenses. So, medical insurance for senior citizens takes care of all the medical expenses during the uncertainty.
Exclusions of Senior Citizen’s Health Insurance plan
Some general exclusion in health insurance for senior citizens is as follows:
- Any event occurring within 30 days of purchase of insurance plans except if it occurs due to an accident.
- A surgery of Joint replacements is only covered when fulfilling some terms and conditions.
- Many policies already mention common diseases like diabetes, fatty liver. So, the premium for such policies may get high & the claim would be for some definite period.
- Cosmetic surgery or dental problem with some exceptions
- Drug addiction.
- AIDS or HIV types of disease are not part of such insurance plans.
- Self-injury or suicide attempt is also an exclusion of this plan.
Inclusions of Senior Citizen’s Health Insurance plan
- Cashless facilities available at network hospitals
- Daycare procedures available
- claim for Pre-existing diseases is possible after some waiting period
- Hospital Room expenses
- Ambulance Expenses
- Some insurers offer a free check-up annually.
- Critical Illness facility is available.
- All organ Donor expenses
Tax benefits in senior citizen health insurance plans:
When a person pays a premium during the senior citizen’s health insurance plan, He can get the benefit of a maximum of Rs 30,000 per year. There is also a further allowance of Rs 5,000 for regular health check-ups each year.
Benefits of senior citizen health insurance plans:
- Annual preventive health check-ups
- The claim for some pre-existing diseases can also be available for a shorter period.
- These plans are easy to renew.
- Most policies provide insurance to a high entry age of nearly 80 years.
Picking the best senior citizen health insurance plan
There are several plans of medical insurance for old citizens in the market. So how do you pick the best insurance plan? Here are some points to make it simple for you:
- Follow the lifestyle and medical records of the elders to determine the type of cover required.
- Analyze the covers allowed for various diseases and demands of medical tests.
- Review the waiting period for pre-existing diseases.
- Check the proper entry age.
- Finding the best location of hospitals
- Premium and money in return.
Health insurance plans for senior citizen available in India:
Oriental Insurance HOPE
- The policy includes expenses of accidental cases, knee replacement, strokes, etc.
- It covers the Pre and post-hospitalization expenses for one month and two months individually.
- You can get the coverage of pre-existing disease with the waiting period of 48 month
- You can get a discount of 5% during the renewal of the policy.
HDFC Ergo Health Optima Senior
- There is no limit for an entry age.
- There is a discount of 5% in the renewal premium
- 140 daycare procedures are included in this policy.
Bajaj Allianz Silver Health
- Pre and post hospitalization expenses up to 3% of the amount is covered.
- You can choose to cover your spouse or any family member too under the policy.
- 130 daycare treatments are provided.
- 10 % increment in the sum amount of the policy if no event occurs in that specific time.
- You can get a premium discount of 5% if two or more family members are covered.
- Free annual health check-ups
- The plan covers more than 170 daycare procedures.
- In case of hospitalization for one day or more, you can get a regular discount for reaching the costs of hospitalization.
- It also allows the claim of dialysis of Rs 1000 for one session.
- You can pick coverage ownership of up to 3 years and hold a premium reduction for a maximum period.
Star Health Senior Citizens Red Carpet
- It covers a person up to 75 years of age.
- No pre-health check-ups are required.
- You can avail of the policy on an individual basis or a family floater basis.
- The premium rate remains constant throughout the policy .ownership.
- Medical check-up is not compulsory under this insurance but, if you provide positive medical reports, you can get a discount of 10%.
TATA AIG Medisenior
- It offers 140 daycare treatments to the policyholder.
- It also includes organ transplant surgeries
- You can take two-year policy tenure and avail a premium discount of 7.5%.
- If you do not make claims through a year, you can get a premium discount of 5% at the time of renewal.
New India Assurance Senior Citizen Mediclaim
- Pre and post hospitalization expenses for one or two months.
- Coverage for other treatments like Ayurveda & Homeopathy is feasible under the plan.
- Organ donor treatment is also covered.
- If you combine your spouse under the policy, you can get a discount of 10% on the premium charges.
How to claim for senior citizen’s health insurance policy?
There are some guidelines that you should understand while claiming health insurance plans for senior citizens. This process is as follows –
- Notify the insurer promptly of the claim that you acquire.
- If you are taking treatments in a renowned hospital, you can get the cashless claim facility. In such circumstances, you need to submit the pre-authorization form at least 3 -4 days before your hospitalization.
- After the cashless treatment, the insurer would resolve your bills with the hospital.
- After the treatment, fill your claim form and submit it by attaching all the medical documents related to the claim.
- If you take treatment in a small hospital, you have to pay your medical bills yourself. After the treatment, you can fill and submit the claim form and the medical bills to the insurance company. The insurer would refund all the medical expenses spent by the policyholder.